Sunday, June 3, 2012

Cringing Way too OfTen


Maybe I’m getting cranky in my old age, but I have to say that I am getting quite bothered by the mispronunciation of the word: often. The correct pronunciation if this word is with the silent t, not the hard, pronounced T that I hear more and more these days. What’s going on? I hear it from professional people, radio and TV announcers, and all too many others.

When I was growing up English teachers made a point of ensuring wayward students using the hard T pronunciation corrected their mispronunciation before they moved on.  They cringed when students butchered the word. These days it seems people are trying to make themselves appear more learned if they mispronounce the word. Come on people!

Why don’t we just all let loose and mispronounce all the soft-t words? Why not sofTen, or lisTen, or WhisTle? Really.

I’m not a stick in the mud. I embrace new words and smash-words. I can chillax with the best of them. But I hear OfTen, way too often.  Let’s all tighten up our grammar. Intentionally mispronouncing words isn’t dope. It just makes you a dope.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete